The expectations are high, but all you have to do is try!
What would it be like if someone instructed you to cook a gourmet meal for 10, but your cooking experience was limited to take-out and frozen pizza? You might feel anxious, upset, or frustrated. The instructor encourages you to try. Begin with what you know, and add on from there. Once you get up the nerve to start, you discover you have more knowledge and skill than you realize. And the meal you end up preparing is delicious!
What if you're 5, and a teacher tells you to draw a picture and write about it? You enjoy drawing the picture, but are stymied about what and how to write. You feel anxious, upset, frustrated.
Fuzzy Bear is 5 and that's exactly what happened to him. He was excited about his new Writing Journal. "I'm going to draw bees and a honey jar, because I love honey!" He drew carefully and then, "Hey, what is this line at the bottom of the page?" That's where you write about your drawing.
"But, I can't write! That's too hard! I don't know what to do! I'm scared! I'm not going to do it!" After a few minutes of hiding, Fuzzy was ready to come out and talk about his drawing. "Well, I drew this bee, and that bee, and . . . hey, wait a minute! Bee begins with b and I know how to write that letter! I also know how to write my name!"
"And you know what? I bet the more I practice this, the more letters and words I'll be able to write! My bear family will be pretty excited to see these pages!"
Watching Fuzzy grapple with this challenge allowed the kids to begin with what they know and add on from there. It's ok to feel anxious and concerned, but once you take that first step you discover that you are capable.
Maybe you decide to write your two "favorite" letters - b and t. And then because you're so pleased with yourself, you add an I and an i.
Perhaps you want to write about bees and honey like Fuzzy did.
Or, you have other ideas.
The important thing is that you try and persevere (a popular and crucial Gan-Shemesh word).
As your confidence increases and you learn more about reading and writing, you'll discover that you can write more and more.
Daily writing helps boost confidence and comfort level with putting words on a page.
And now, writing is popping up all over the classroom!
The power of puppets cannot be overstated.
Watching Fuzzy manifest the emotions that 5-year-olds might experience helps the kids understand that it's important to work through those difficult feelings and give challenges a try.
As the Gan-Shemesh kids love to sing:
So, next time you're faced with a challenge (maybe it's cooking a gourmet meal for 10 or maybe it's something else), think of Fuzzy and the courageous Gan-Shemesh kids. Go ahead and try!









